1. Cottage from Gózd Lipiński

The cottage was built in the second half of the 19th century by an indigent Ukrainian Łaszczyh family. Since 1925 this had been a property of the Konieczny family up until it was bought by the museum (1980). This cottage has a long side,  is symmetrical and is rather small. The walls are built with pine logs which are joined together by full dovetail notches. One-bay interior consists of centre hallway, one room and chamber. The cottage is covered by a thatched roof.

2.The shrine from Korytkowo Duże

On the crossroads, surrounded by trees, there is a detached wayside shrine. Initially – before it was moved to the open-air museum – the shrine was located at the point where roads from Lublin to Biłgoraj crossed as well as those roads from Korytkowo to the crossing with river Biała Łada converged. As there was a bridge and river nearby, the statue of John of Nepomuk was placed inside the shrine. It is believed that his depiction represents protection from floods since he is the patron saint of bridges and drowning men. He is also the patron of honour and honest confession.

This type of hip roof shrine was common in the mid 19th century.  Maintaining a broad shingled hip roof with eaves supported by profiled pillars, the shrine was built using pine wood with a foundation and is surrounded by a low picket fence. On the top of the roof, a wooden pinnacle with an iron, forged cross crowns the building. This is proof of the builder’s advanced carpentering skill. The original statue of John of Nepomuk had been stolen in Korytkowo in 1968. With that said, the one in the open-air museum was made in 1996 by Czesław Bielak from Niedrzwica Duża.

3.The homestead from Korytkowo Duże

This wooden, log cottage with a long side, built in 1798, is one of the last cottages from the 18th century which initial interior design and rooms’ function and has never been altered. In one bay there is a room and a connecting hallway and chamber. Its log walls were built using pine logs joined together with full box joints. This building has a thatched hip roof and eaves made from board-like shingle (in Polish so-called szarem).

Inside, the floor and ceiling in the room and chamber are covered with boards, however in the hallway only the wooden beams are visible. The ceiling of the room is supported by the log on which there is a rosette and the date ‘1798’ inscribed. Kitchen facilities were built with limestone. Inside the room there is a kitchen range with an open grate and cowl, heating stove and bread oven with a chimney corner. People used to cook here on an iron tripod, called ‘dynarek’ in Polish, placed over the fire. The chimney and grate are located in the hallway.

Detached farm buildings on the homestead from Korytkowo Duże are from two different places. Built in 1870, a wooden triple grange was translocated here from Zagumnie. A breeding building (called a shed or barn), built at the beginning of the 20th century, was translocated here from Bukowskie Przedmieście (nowadays a part of Tarnogród). Both buildings are thatched and covered with shingle. Located nearby the main entrance of the homestead,  the well sweep and earth shelter complete the landscape of this complex. There is also a small orchard with log beehives (both upright and prone) set up in the corner of homestead. Hanging from the apple tree, a small log beehive brings so-called hook to mind, which was used for catching bee swarms.

On the 11th of October 2005 the farm buildings on the homestead from Korytkowo Duże burnt because of arson. In 2006 they were rebuilt and the buildings today on the homestead are reconstructions of historical objects.

4.The beer house from Siedliszcze

The beer house from Siedliszcze exhibition is temporarily organised inside the building from Bełżec which was built most likely in 1866 (the date is carved on the lintel). This is a wooden, log building with a brick cellar and shingled roof. Nowadays it has four rooms. The building was built for communal administrative purpose and at the end of the 19th century there was a communal office with a prison. In 1899 one of the rooms was given to the local school to be used as a classroom. It had educational purposes until 1960s. In the future, an exhibition composed of two classrooms and a hallway rented in 1930s for a public school in Bełżec is planned here.

Currently, the museum beer house is located in the building from Bełżec. Coexisting in one room is a contemporary eatery and an exhibition about a part of beer house’s saleroom from Siedliszcze, which presents this place as it was in1938. Other rooms are used as storage space.


5.The fine gate to the estate of the Krychowscy family

6.The homestead from Teodorówka

The homestead from Teodorówka represents one of the most interesting types of rural wooden architecture. The complex served for housing and farming purposes. This type of residence was very common in Lublin region in the second half of the 19th and in the beginning of the 20th century. It has very functional spatial arrangement. There is a cottage, a pen, a barn and a coach house with two gates under one thatched roof. Particular farmyard segments were built at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries and concluded in 1905. There is a flower garden surrounded by a wooden fence in front of the house.

The five-room log cottage has a porch at the front and a small roof at the back of the house. In the  one and a half bay arrangement, there is a room and a bedchamber on the north side, an entrance hall with a kitchen in the middle and a pantry divided into two rooms on the south side. The whole building is covered by a hip roof, which is supported by the porch columns. There are early forms of heating systems and kitchen facilities made from limestone and bricks inside. They include: two kitchen ranges (room, kitchen), a bread oven, a stove and a chimney.

The pen consists of a pigsty with a henhouse, a cowshed, a shed, a brick basement and a stable with the room for a chaff-cutter. The four-room barn has threshing floor in the center and has a pantry, a “zapole” and a “plewnik” within. The pen, near the coach house, has a three-sided roof connected to the barn and is supported by a column from the back of the building.

There is an exhibition from a country shop circa 1939.

7.The homestead from Bukowa

The Complex from Bukowa is a typical example of a well-spaced homestead of the Biłgoraj region, that was common in the second half of the 19th and the first half of the 20th centuries. It consists of: a cottage, an outbuilding, a barn, a well with a sweep and an earthen basement. The buildings have unique thatched roofs that are typical for the region. The first row of thatch (called “szar”) is made from aspen wooden planks called “dranice” or from usual planks. There is a small garden with flowers and vegetables in front of the cottage. The homestead is surrounded by a fence made of the previously mentioned “dranice”. Near the road, there is a gate and a wicket in the fence. They are covered with small gable roofs from the planks.

The long side of the log cottage faces the street.  It was built with pine logs and has “half-log” structure joined at the corners by a “fishtail joint”. A room and a pantry are located in one bay, on both sides of the entrance hall. The ceiling is supported by a load-bearing beam (called “belek z wyrokiem”) and is engraved with a rosette and the year of construction “1857”. There are the following kitchen facilities: an open hearth-style kitchen and a “kapa”, a stove, a bread oven. There is also a special place to sleep behind a stove. They were all built using limestone. The smoke is carried outside by an archaic stay chimney.

An outbuilding called a cowshed was built in the second half  of the 19th century. The following separate rooms are within: a stable, a cowshed, a pigsty and a shed with a coach house. The barn, one of the oldest that survived in Roztocze, was built  in the typical style of 19th century barns in the Biłgoraj region (pantry-threshing floor-“zapole”). It has a unique porch in front of the gate. The roof  served as a garret. It was constructed either in 1839 or 1857 (those two dates were inscribed on the pantry doorframe). There is an earthen basement dug below the farmyard (so called jama). It has an oak perch ceiling and is covered with a plank gable roof. Also there is a well with a sweep and a wooden, oak casing.

8.The smithy from Ciosmy

The smithy from Ciosmy represents the typical style of Polish smithies from the 19th and the first half of the 20th centuries. The shorter side of the building faces the street, there is also an arcade. The walls are constructed from pine half-logs. They are joined at the corners by dovetail joints and the ends of the logs were not removed. There is a gable roof covered with pine boards. In comparison with the common smithies that had early heating systems (such as in the smithy from Urzędów in the Lublin Upland sector), this one has a stay wooden chimney made by layering clay and wooden bars inside the structure. It is covered with boards.

According to the oral tradition, the smithy was built by Michał Tutka (circa 1880-1947) in 1912-1913 for his eldest son, Jan. When determining the year of construction, the date “1924”, engraved on the door, should be taken into account as well because it was more or less around the time Jan Tutka came back from the army. The smithy in Ciosmy was originally located about 25 m from the homestead. Michał, married to Agnieszka, had three sons: Jan, Piotr and Józef. He had a farm about 9 ha in size, including 1,5 ha of the surrounding forest. Jan Tutka learned smithery during compulsory military service. However, he worked as a smith in his home country for a short period of time.  He bought land in Wołyń during the settlement campaign and he came back to his home village at about 1943. During the interwar period, two smiths worked in the smithy: Krucoń from Puszcza Solska and Markowicz from Bidaczów. They  made parts for agricultural machines, hinges, door handles, gratings, nails, screws. They  fixed metal fittings on carts and wagons and made small agricultural tools as well. Jan Tutka worked in the smithy for a half of year (until 1947). Then he went back to his home in Ciosmy from Wołyń. After that, the smithy was inactive until its translocation to the museum. About 40 authentic tools from the smithy survived and now they are the part of the collection of The Open Air Village Museum.


9.The Greek Catholic church complex with the Uniate church from Tarnoszyn

The Uniate church from Tarnoszyn, the belfry from Lubycza-Kniazie, the graveyard  and the shrine from Słoboda make up the Greek Catholic church complex in The Open Air Village Museum.

The Uniate church from Tarnoszyn is the only temple in Poland that regained its cult function after transportation to the Open Air Village Museum. Although it is a museum facility, it is also the church for the Greek Catholic congregation in Lublin. It was first dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, as in Tarnoszyn, and Saint Jozafat is the patron of Lublin congregation.

The typical elements of the Uniate church precincts were inspired by historical contents and forms from Tarnoszyn, or, like the belfry, they came from the same macro region as the translocated church. Two elements of the church square from Tarnoszyn were reconstructed: the fence and the burial mound.

The Uniate church was built in 1759 in the town of Uhrynów. During the time of the Second Polish Republic it was in the Sokalski constituency, in the Lwowskie province. It was transported to Tarnoszyn around 1904-1906. Therefore it is now located in the Tomaszów Lubelski constituency.

The wooden, log church’s form is tri-segmental and includes three domes. Three parts are centrally located (the vestibule, a central nave and the chancel) and the two sacristies are at both sides of the chancel. The church originally had metal galvanized roofing, however, in the museum adaptation the roof is shingled. In the early of the 20th century, a straight framed-ornamental polychrome occurred inside the church. It reveals marks of the original polychrome, probably from the 18th century.

The belfry was erected in the second half  of the 18th century, nearby the Greek Catholic congregation dedicated to Saint Paraskewa was mentioned in the written sources for the first time in 1776. The wooden, two-storey belfry has stone underpinning, wide roofing and a small arcade in the upper story. The roof consists of eight stretches. This type of belfry was common in the Lubaczów and Tomaszów regions. There are 3 bells suspended by a wheel. They were contemporarily cast in Ludwik Felczyński’s factory in Przemyśl, which was established in 1808.


10.The farmstead from Lipina Nowa

This unfenced farmstead consists of: a farmhouse, a cellar and a wooden toilet. The interiors are not open to the public.The wooden farmhouse, constructed in the post-and-plank technique, is L-shaped in its layout and has a thatched roof. It consists of a three-room cottage, a cowshed and a three-sectioned barn. Built circa 1895.

11.The farmstead from Huta Dzierążyńska

This farmstead consists of: a cottage; an auxiliary farm building (cowshed); a wooden root cellar and a barn, located on the other side of the road, accordingly to the situation in situ. The complex is unfenced, with trees and bushes marking the boundaries of the plot. The cowshed and the barn were originally part of another farmstead located in the same village. The interiors are not open to the public.The four-room cottage, built in the second half of the 19th century, was constructed using logs and has a thatched roof. The auxiliary farm building, consisting of a barn, cowshed and shack, is a log-constructed building with a thatched roof. The wooden barn, constructed using logs, is three-sectioned and has a thatched roof. Both were built between 1920-1921.

12.The farmstead from Błonie

This farmstead consists of: a cottage, a utility pen and a crank well. The interiors are not open to the public.The cottage, constructed using logs, has four rooms and a thatched roof. It was built circa 1919.The wooden utility pen, constructed using logs, has a thatched roof. It includes an auxiliary farm building (consisting of a cowshed, passage and stable), a three-sectioned barn and two woodsheds. It was built between 1918-1925.

13.The shrine from Słoboda

The shrine from Słoboda, located in the lower part of the sector, relates to the Greek Catholic church complex from Tarnoszyn. It is a wooden house-shapedshrine, built on the projection of a rectangle. It has a three-sided apse and a gable roof, surmounted by a small tower with a spherical cupola. The roof is covered by tin-plated iron sheets. These are signed Teschen/ Prima and were manufactured in Cieszyn. The sidewalls and front wall have windows. The door is glazed.This shrinewas founded by the residents of Słoboda Mała – Kiryło and Hycz in 1913, as evidenced by the inscription on a wooden board hanged above chapel’s door,  “KIРИЛО. ГІСЪ/ ФּДּР. Р. 1913” ФּDּР. Р. 1913. (reads as founder). It was built by a Roman Catholic named Mazurek (Kiryło’s son-in-law) at a crossroads. The original three-winged wooden altar is preserved inside the chapel. The chromolithographs found inside, namely Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Saint Nicholas and Crucifixion, come from the Museum’s collections. The original depictions of identical iconography were stolen from the chapel prior to its relocation to the Museum.