This sector is only available for pedestrians. Seeing interiors of museum objects here is not possible.
1.Oak stub with a cross from Dzbenin
The cross was hung on the oak in the 80s-90s of the 19th century by Stanisław Mędrkiewicz (1852-1909), who was the landowner of Sławin-Zdrój at that time, to mark out borders of his property. Stanisław Mędrkiewicz became an owner of Sławin property in 1879. Water-cure establishment operating at that time and “Kościuszki” manor, among other things, were also his properties. The history of the cross is related to the sale of forest, which used to reach as far as Dębówka and was a part of his property. Road to Snopków led through the forest, along which grew oaks. Before he finalised this transaction, Stanisław Mędrkiewicz hung the cross on one of the oaks which were there, on the sold land. After a few years its new owner – Jew – had started to fell the trees and sell the land but he spared that tree with the cross on it. This is how the tree was growing bigger and cross was blending into the tree trunk. Around 1980 the oak collapsed, but local inhabitants protected that stub with the cross from future devastation. On the initiative of Zofia Rzączyńska a “shrine” was moved to the open-air museum of Lublin in 2001. It became local, religious accent of Powiśle sector.
2.The homestead from Chrząchów
The homestead is composed of: cottage and barn moved from farm St. Przychodnia. from Braciejowice, based on an original but not preserved toilet, crank well, doghouse and potatoes hill. Seeing interiors is not available here. Homestead from Chrząchów represents typical for Powiśle region double-building farm of poor peasant family. Asymmetrical with centric room arrangement, this cottage may be distinguished by the second door, placed in gable, which leads to the room separated from hallway with steep roof. Under this room, there is a brick cellar made from rubble. Barn with a cowshed was common in this region in homesteads of poor peasants and people of moderate means.
3.The homestead from Janiszów
This homestead is composed of: cottage and farm building with stable, barn, grange, chamber, shed and pigsty, which should be reconstructed. There are also well, earth cellar and haystack. In front of the cottage, there was a flower garden surrounded by basket fence. The homestead was also partly surrounded by this fence. This multifunctional farm building is constructed on the basis of building from Wilków, as the one similar to was not preserved in this homestead at the moment of gaining the cottage of Stępnie for museum. Seeing interiors is not available here. The cottage is the oldest among preserved wooden buildings with post-and-plank construction. These cottages were built on the Powiśle region until the turn of 19th and 20th centuries. This is also an example of narrow-front cottage, which were common in the 19th century in the Powiśle region. Wicker-willow basket fence is also worth mentioning, as common in this region thanks to the availability of raw material.
4.The homestead from Brzeziny
The homestead is composed of: a log-constructed cottage, with a stable and a pigsty separated from hallway, which were built in 1789, as well as a barn with a cowshed, built in the 2nd half of the 19th century, earth-stone cellar and well with a sweep. Double-building homestead from Brzeziny is typical for post-enfranchisement farms of moderate means, built in Powiśle of Lubelskie region at the turn of 19th and 20th centuries. Asymmetrical cottage with centric room, is most probably the oldest preserved building of this kind in Lubelskie region. The date of the cottage construction “1789” and rosette are inscribed on the log in the room. Inside of the cottage, there is an exhibition of the life of two Jewish families: in the hallway – of a poor door-to-door salesman Jew, and in the room – of a Jew who was the owner of a shop, as well as a Jewish shop in the chamber of the cottage. Educational lectures on the life of Jewish community in the countryside are also conducted here.
5.The homestead from Głodno
The homestead is composed of: a cottage (around 1880-1890), farm buildings called cattle-yard, composed of a stable with two hanged dovecotes, farm buildings called pigsties, composed of tree separated buildings joined with two roofs: shed’s, barn’s with two stables and pigsty as well as two-chambered pigsties. The farmyard was cobbled. Brick pigsty, cellar and a well with a sweep are placed beyond the dense homestead buildings. Other brick cellar is located behind the barn. In the cottage from Głodno, which belonged to a wealthy, catholic family of Krzak, in 2009 educational models of houses of two Jewish families – door-to-door salesman and former fruit grower, at that time the owner of the shop, living in the countryside during the declining years of the Second Polish Republic, was organised thanks to funds of Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of the Republic of Poland. In the hallway, there is an exhibition of home equipment of poor family of Jewish door-to-door salesman. Furnishing of the room is composed of simple furniture. A cupboard and a rack for kitchen vessels, a table and a shelf for artefacts of religious worship are made by rural and town carpenters. Metal beds and a cat-iron heater are of factory production. The family of door-to-door salesman used to earn their living thanks to minor trading and peddling buying, among other things, of waste. Effect of this trading is represented by the various things: small amounts of linen material, goose feather, or rags hung under the ceiling in patched sacks. There is a scrap collected in the barrel. A wealthier apartment is arranged in the room. Better quality furniture is here: brass and nickel-plated beds, oaken cupboards, wardrobes – for clothes and library, for religious books. The family used to make provision for them, mainly, thanks to the shop with many merchandises presented in the cottage chamber. There is also a separate door from the manor. In this room, beyond the partition, handy property room for didactic aids are collected for educational project Meet and respect everyday life of the others, conducted with the aforementioned ministerial finance support. There is no stylistic homogeneous furniture in this room. A flour chest serves as the counter, whereas the shelves are – one form former inn, and the other from town shop. There are so-called various products on the counter. On the walls of the chamber hoops for smoking plums are. These objects remind about the past of salesman, who used to lease manor and peasant orchards.
6.The shrine from Leszczyna
It is a wooden, house type shrine. It is covered by a gable, galvanized metal roof. The inscription engraved above the glass door contains the year of construction, which is 1927, as well as the pray to Mother of God for the protection against the disasters and for special intention for offspring in family. Antoni carved the sculptures in wood by himself: a statue of the Mother of God and the statues of Saint Agatha and Saint Florian. The shrine was built on the edge of the village by self-taught carpenter Antoni Wnuk (born in 1863). As the family’s oral tradition says, the shrine was built as the pray to Mother of God for the protection against the disasters and for special intention for offspring in family. Antoni carved the sculptures in wood by himself: a statue of the Mother of God and the statues of Saint Agatha and Saint Florian. With the years new objects of worship appeared. Leszczyna residents brought china figurines of saints from Częstochowa, some people hung religious pictures. Gabriel Pis from Kraśnik turned two wooden bells, which then hung at the front wall of the shrine, at both sides of the door. Authentic objects of worship were located in the new shrine in Leszczyna. Instead the original statues, the sculpture of Saint John of Nepomuk craved in 2004 by Adam Lipa from Siedliska was located in the shrine in the Open Air Museum. Saint John of Nepomuk is a patron of bridges, protects against the flood and helps the drowning.
7.The shrine from Żmijowiska
It is an accurate copy of the facility from the village Żmijowice in Powiśle region in Lublin province. The shrine hangs there at the linden tree growing by the road, on the edge of the village. It is made from pine wood, has glass side walls and is painted blue. It is covered by a gable galvanized metal roof, supported by two small columns. The copy was made by museum employees: Marek Frąk and Krzysztof Drozdowski in 2002, according to the shrine inventory from 1986. As in Żmijowiska, there is an image of Black Madonna of Częstochowa made by contemporary enterprise “Veritas”.
8.The bridge on the river Czechówka
9.The homestead from Karczmiska
The homestead consists of a cottage (built in 1748), a barn with a pantry, a brick cowshed and an earth basement. There is a flower garden encircled by a wooden fence in front of the cottage. The homestead is not enclosed by any fence . The barn comes from a different village. However, it has been added to the complex because of a style similar to the authentic building that was the part of the homestead of Popiołek family before, but did not survived. The cowshed is an accurate copy of another building from another homestead in Karczmiska, but resembles the original one of Popiołek family. The interiors are not available for tourists.
10.The homestead from Kaliszany
The homestead comprises of a cottage, a barn, a wooden inventory building with a pigsty, room for a chaff-cutter and a coach house, a brick pen consisting of a cowshed-stable and a granary with a cellar, a wooden WC, and a well with a crank. There is an orchard and a little garden with flowers and vegetables near the cottage. The homestead is enclosed by a wooden fence. The barn and the inventory building come from different villages. They were added to the complex because they resemble the authentic, unpreserved ones from the homestead of
Burdzińscy family in the moment of translocation to the Open Air Village Museum. The stone cowshed will be reconstructed.